Handling Sand for Your Recreational Project
When you envision your landscaping project, sand might not be the first material that comes to mind. However, landscaping sand is a versatile and affordable product, making it a popular choice for professional landscapers and contractors. Here, Rock Products, Inc. offers information on landscaping sand and how you can utilize it in your outdoor space or recreational area. Since 1995, customers have counted on Rock Products, Inc. for durable, high-quality hardscaping materials like sand, gravel, and pavers.
What Is Landscaping Sand?
Sand is a granular, naturally occurring material made up of disintegrated stone. Much finer than gravel, sand is often used for backfill, cement and concrete manufacturing, construction work, and landscape design. There are many different types of landscape sand, and they can vary in color, texture, and uniformity. Common types of landscape sands include:
- Play sand: Also known as beach sand, this is a soft, fine-textured sand. It’s silica-free and is safe to use in children’s play spaces like sandboxes and playgrounds.
- Utility sand: This is typically coarser than play sand. It compacts well and is used to fill holes or serve as a base for paving stones.
Where Is Landscape Sand Used?
You’ll find you can use landscaping sand for a variety of applications, including:
- Pathways: Sand is useful for creating walkways and pathways through your landscaping or garden, as it makes a great base for pavers.
- Play areas: Of course, landscape sand is perfect for a sandbox. But you can also use it as a base material to create a soft surface for swing sets and playgrounds.
- Athletic areas: Sand is the ideal material for a volleyball court. It’s also used on golf courses with sand traps.
- Beach areas: Landscape sand can be used to build up beaches at parks and recreational areas.
- Weed suppression: Sand can be placed over landscape fabric to help keep weeds in check and keep your landscaping looking beautiful.
- Tool storage: A bucket or planter filled with sand makes an ideal storage space for gardening tools like trowels, spades, and pruning shears, keeping them safe and rust-free.
Tips and Tricks for Working with Landscaping Sand
Sand for landscaping is easy to use, spread, and store. Keep these best practices in mind when working with landscape sand:
- Measure your space: Get accurate measurements of the depth and width of your space to help ensure you have enough material and don’t need to place multiple orders.
- Tamp down the sand: Landscape sand can settle unevenly over time. Avoid this by spraying your sand with water and using a tamping tool during installation to make it compact and level.
- Get the right tools: If you’re filling a sandbox with sand, consider placing a plastic tarp in the bottom to minimize drainage. For spreading sand, a landscape or leveling rake is helpful.
If you have questions about working with landscape sand, the knowledgeable team at Rock Products, Inc. is happy to help you. We can help you calculate the amount of sand you need and determine the best materials for your project’s specifications.
Find Landscaping Sand in New Jersey
If you’re on the hunt for sand for your next landscaping or recreational project, look no further than Rock Products, Inc. in West Deptford, NJ. For nearly three decades, we’ve been a trusted supplier of hardscape and landscape supplies for both professional contractors and DIY enthusiasts. Plus, we make it easy to get the materials you need by providing timely freight service through NJ, as well as in Pennsylvania and Delaware. In addition to landscaping sand, the inventory at Rock Products, Inc. includes:
- EP Henry hardscape pavers and walls
- PA Bluestone and Flagstone
- Bulk landscape stone
- Masonry tools and supplies
- Industrial stone aggregate
- Bulk mulch and topsoil
- Salt and calcium products
We even carry outdoor fireplaces and fire pit kits. With everything you need to transform your outdoor space, Rock Products, Inc. is a trusted local partner for commercial and residential customers. For more information about landscaping with sand or to request a quote, contact us today.